Windows: Process Starts But No Window Appears

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Wed Apr 18 14:09:24 EDT 2007

Thanks for your quick reply Andreas!

On Tue, April 17, 2007 1:43 pm, Andreas Köhler wrote:
>> I'm trying to use GnuCash on Windows XP with SP 2.  When I execute
>> gnucash.bat, two processes are started:  gnucash-bin.exe and
>> gconfd-2.exe.  The processes, however, seem to be hanging because I
>> never see the GnuCash window.  Here's what I've tried:
>
> I suppose you are using the 2.1.0 binary.

Yes, this is the case.

>> * Debugging the process using GDB
>>     * Nothing appears in the gdb window.  I type "run" to start GnuCash,
>  > and then it just sits there with no output.
>
> GnuCash is running in the Windows subsystem.  This can be changed in
> different ways:
> * use editbin.exe /subsystem console
> * install ActivePerl (needed for finance::quote anyway, more about
>   that in GnuCash 2.1.1), use exetype.bat gnucash-bin.exe console
> * install MSYS (needed for building GnuCash), fetch
> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/packaging/win32/exetype.pl
> and use exetype.pl gnucash-bin.exe console

Ok, I used exetype.bat to make GnuCash run in the console.  Thanks for
this tip!

> What about files like "c:\Documents and Settings\myname\Local
> Settings\Temp\gnucash.trace.ABCDEF"?

I found a *ton* of gnucash.trace files in my %TEMP% dir, but they were
all empty.

> Or let us play with gconfd-2.exe:

Was I supposed to run this series of commands while GnuCash was running
within Gdb?  That's what I ended up doing in a separate command window.
Here's the results:

> gconftool-2 --shutdown

This command executes without any problems, but it doesn't kill the
existing gconfd-2.exe process.

> gconftool-2 --spawn

This command creates a new gconfd-2.exe process, but the command itself
hangs.

> gconftool-2 --ping && echo "alive" (works even in cmd.exe)

To run this command, I had to open a new command window.  It returns
nothing, so I guess it isn't pingable.

> gconftool-2.exe --get /schemas/apps/gnucash/general/auto_decimal_places

I never got to this command since the previous two commands didn't work.

> You see, I expect a gconfd/orbit2 problem, but I do not know.

Do you know what I should do next?

Thanks again!

Tom Purl