More Questions Accounts Receivable and Billing

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Tue Apr 17 23:26:37 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 08:57, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca> writes:
> > I've just set up a number of accounts receivable. Each of them is for a
> > union local. Some of them are current, some have paid ahead of time, and
> > some are in arrears.
> >
> > I've entered the name and used a positive dollar amount if they owe
> > money, and a negative dollar amount if they have paid ahead of time in
> > the opening account value.
> >
> > I need to do two more things - schedule automatic transactions to add an
> > estimated amount of dues at the end of every month to the accounts
> > receivable, and create an invoice for billing each local.
> >
> > What I wanted to do was schedule a transaction at the last day of every
> > month to add the estimated amount of dues owed but I don't see how to get
> > to the account from the transaction scheduler. Nor do I see how to bill
> > anyone from accounts receivable since there are no addresses, etc in the
> > accounts receivable.
> >
> > Do I have to set them up as customers fro the business section instead?
> >
> > Thanks, Bob

> If you want to use the Business Reports then you need to use
> the Business Features (Invoices/Bills/Process-Payment).  You
> cannot use a regular opening balance; you need to use the
> business features to set up all balances or the business reports
> wont notice them.  Also, there's no way to schedule invoices
> or payments..

I confess I don't understand this, Derek.

Why can't I use the accounts receivable I've already established?

And how do you actually make an invoice?

I have added accounts receivable and customer accounts for each local I want
to send an invoice to.

When I go to business, customer, new invoice, it starts off opening a window
in which I have invoice id, date, customer, billing id, terms, and notes.

Will Gnucash not create an invoice id without me having to remember what the
last one I used was?

When I try to go to my customer list, instead of a list of customers to choose
from, I have to search for each customer by name, which is both slow and a
real pain. But even when I do that, I still don't see any place to enter a
dollar amount that I want to invoice for. Instead I get a window that allows
me to view an invoice, but I haven't created one yet and there doesn't seem
to be any way to create one!

> So, if you want to use SX you cannot use the business features..

What is SX?  is this the scheduler? Surely there must be some way I can
schedule a transaction for each account I want to bill every month so that
this doesn't have to be done manually - it's a show stopper for me.

I'm sorry if I seem to be asking basic questions, but I still haven't been
able to get Gnucash docs to install, and even though I've printed off the
html version on the gnucash website, I can't find anything that walks me
through how to do this.

Thanks, Bob
bob at rsmits.ca