2.1 check printing

David Hampton gnucash at love2code.net
Tue Apr 17 23:56:46 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 20:35 -0600, Ron Morse wrote:

> The only anomalies I've spotted so far are in the revised
> check printing module (thankyouthankyouthankyou).  First,
> the Quicken/Quickbooks format selection is
> incorrect...using Quicken form number 519036 (3/05) the
> amount (words) line prints about 1/2 line too low on HP
> inkjet with the CUPS/Gutenprint driver. The other fields
> are fine. As is the more reasonable font.

The output should exactly match the output that gnucash produced before
the change.  As part of my testing I printed out before and after
checks, stacked them on top of each other, and held them up in front of
a light.

Is there a repository of these format's anywhere?  I don't actually
print checks.

> In the custom format settings the "amount (numbers)"
> settings actually controls where "amount (words)" prints
> and the other way around.  Should I submit a formal bug
> report on this?

Please do.

> I'm not griping, but will note for the record the old custom
> format origin at the lower left of the paper and the new
> format's origin at upper left means all of the custom
> formats I defined for previous versions of GnuCash no
> longer work with 2.1.

Sorry about that.  That was a change in the underlying libraries.  I
originally tried to hide the switch in the origin point from users, but
the code began to get complicated and after a while it just seemed
easier to write clean simple code and leave that change exposed.

> Once I determined which fields control which settings converting
> the formats was trivial, but mildly annoying.

I added a whole section to the documentation describing the format of
the check description files.

David