No online quotes -- missing Perl module

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:25:41 EDT 2007

On a new (pure) 64-bit Gentoo system, I have Gnucash 2.0.5 installed.
gnc-fq-update lives in /usr/bin. I've cd'ed to /usr/bin and run
gnc-fq-update as root, several times by now. The last time I ran it, I
asked it to do the tests and it said they passed (though several
subtests were skipped). But the bottom line is that if I attempt to
obtain quotes, I'm greeted with:

gnc-fq-dump yahoo IBM
/usr/bin/gnc-fq-dump cannot find all the Perl modules needed to run.
You need to install the following Perl modules:
  Date::Manip
Use your system's package manager to install them,
or run 'gnc-fq-update' as root.

I have an older 32-bit Gentoo system that is reasonably up-to-date,
and quotes work fine there. I do note that the newer system has perl
5.8.8 installed, as does the older system. But on the older machine,
there are remnants of perl 5.8.6, including the file

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Date/Manip.pm

There is no corresponding file on the new machine. Of course, online
quotes were set up on the older machine quite some time ago. Perhaps
something has changed in the latest version of perl, or perhaps its
packaging? Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

/Don Allen