Rearranging accounts?

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 28 09:45:06 EDT 2007

On Saturday 28 April 2007 07:04, John K. Taber wrote:
> I set up my accounts by importing a QIF file from Quicken 99, which
> created several accounts that I realize should be re-ordered.
>
> I have:
> Vanguard Prime	     placeholder
>    Vanguard Prime    transaction register
> Vanguard Balanced    placeholder
>    Vanguard Balanced transaction register
>
> What I want is:
>
> Vanguard             placeholder
>    Prime             transaction register
>    Balanced          transaction register
>
> How do I do this? I can't find instructions for this in the help manual.
>
> BTW, Prime is a mutual fund, but it is a money market fund. I don't want
> to start any theological wars in accounting, but what type should the
> account be, cash or mutual fund?
>
> Thanks
> John

Rearranging them is very easy. Select the Vanguard Balanced account, and click
the Edit button (or right-click and select Edit Account). In the dialog that
pops up, go to the bottom where it says Parent Account, and select Vanguard
Prime. Then edit the account name to just Balanced instead of Vanguard
Balanced. Click Ok, and both transaction accounts will be under the same
parent. Then you can edit the other accounts to clean up their names.
Finally, after checking that there are no transactions in the unused
placeholder account (could happen accidentally; I've done it), select it and
click Delete (or right-click and select Delete Account). That's it.

Someone else will have to address the second question.

Shocky
--
These are my opinions. Get your own.