Printing checks - last little hitch.

Ron Morse rbmorse at comcast.net
Fri Aug 3 01:36:37 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 14:41 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> I found where the field positions are set in Gnucash 2+ and have a standard
> Aussie check working.  The last problem is placing them vertically.  Using A4
> paper, both the U.S. and A4 checks are O.K. in print preview, but print about
> 28 mm (1.1 inch) too high.  This is neither the difference between A4 and 11
> inch paper (A4 is 17.6 mm longer) nor the bottom tear-off margin (17 mm) nor
> the sum of the two.
>
> In earlier versions, check positions were calculated from the bottom,
> following Postscript.  Now they are calculated from the top, so it would seem
> that there is an adjustment for page height somewhere.  I can't find it in
> the config files, and the "Translation" field in checks/gnomeprint seems to
> do nothing. (I used points when changing that.)

Look in usr/local/share/gnucash/checks

This is where the default check formats are defined. For my purposes the
Quicken/quickbooks format was very close, so I just copied the original
layout for that selection to a backup then twiddled the bits until
things lined up correctly. Things are done here in plain text and there
is no mystery.  When I select the Quicken/Quickbooks format for printing
checks my modified layout gets sent to the printer.

I have no idea what units of measure are used but the settings appear to
have some granularity...i.e., changing the value by one or two doesn't
seem to do much, but a change of 5 units is immediately apparent.

Ron Morse