Printing checks - last little hitch.

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 10:04:33 EDT 2007

On 3 Aug 2007, at 9:40:39 AM, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:10:36 pm Josh Sled wrote:
>> Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> writes:
>>> I can't find anything by googling.  Any guidance would be
>>> appreciated.
>>> Since gnucash started in Germany, and Germany invented the
>>> international
>>> paper sizes, someone should have made gnucash work with A4.
>>
>> I don't know why you think GnuCash started in Germany... Robin
>> Clark was at
>> Harvey Mudd in California, Linas Vepstas is in Texas, and the
>> Gnumatic crew
>> was all US-based, as far as I understand.
>
> I don't know where I heard it.  Anyway, do you have any ideas about my
> question?  Anywhere I can find any documentation? I don't want to get
> parochial, but according to Wikipedia, the USA and Canada are the
> only two
> countries remaining in the world who don't use A4 paper.   The only
> issue I
> have is with the vertical displacement.  Am I right in thinking
> that it is in
> the gnomeprint directory?
>
> Doug.

There is some chance that gtkprint (the replacement for gnomeprint in
gtk+ >= something like 2.10) is screwing things up.

Since gnucash only prints one check at a time anyway, you may have to
live with munging the point values in usr/local/share/gnucash/checks
until the top check prints correctly, then print the top check, tear
it off, and print the next one as top with a shorter page. Some check
paper stocks are a bit thin, though, and this approach may cause feed
problems on the bottom check (+ the tear-off strip).

My problem is that my laser printer is old enough that it only does
lpd instead of ipp, despite the fact that Macs use cups to manage
printers. gtkprint is simply barfing on any print operation. If I
switch to the lpr backend in gtk+, then it only prints a4 and
provides no access to changing page size. grr.

AFAIK, there is no expected top or bottom margin in the placement
coordinates listed in the check definition files. Coordinates should
be absolute from the lower or upper left physical corner.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net