Switching from Quicken to gnucash.

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Mon Aug 13 04:56:05 EDT 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:40:06 +0200
Charles Stroom <charles at stremen.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Thanks for a number of comments received so far.  Just to clarify, at
> this moment I run my Dutch Quicken under wine, and it runs fine.
> However, I do not trust it will run forever as I had problems with
> the wine/quicken combi from time to time, when updating linux or wine.

Maybe it would better to install Quicken in a virtual machine (E.g.
Vmware Server oder QEMU). Inside your VM you could use Windows as
OS or your current Linux/Wine combination. Whenever you upgrade your
Linux system your Quicken system would remain untouched. And there
would be no need to update it since you use it just to access your
historical Quicken data. You could even burn the virtual disk file to cd
or dvd as backup and would then be able to transfer it to another PC.

Manfred