Switching from Quicken to gnucash.

Charles Stroom charles at stremen.xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 13 06:16:27 EDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:56:05 +0200
Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m at icg-online.de> wrote:

> Maybe it would better to install Quicken in a virtual machine (E.g.
> Vmware Server oder QEMU). Inside your VM you could use Windows as
> OS or your current Linux/Wine combination. Whenever you upgrade your
> Linux system your Quicken system would remain untouched. And there
> would be no need to update it since you use it just to access your
> historical Quicken data. You could even burn the virtual disk file to
> cd or dvd as backup and would then be able to transfer it to another
> PC.
>
> Manfred

Actually, I have quicken under vmware 4.5 as well and I used it until
wine became stable enough.  But when I bought my new PC a couple of
months ago, vmware 4.5 had problems to install.  Upgrading to vmware 6
would have cost an odd US$ 200, which is a bit too much for only 2 PC
programs I really need (quicken and an old Ashlar's Drawingboard).
Fortunately, I got vmware 4.5 to work again, so for the time being,
there is no problem.  I am anticipating a future, hence my eyes on
gnucash.  The native system on my PC is Linux, avoiding M$soft as much
as possible.

Charles

--
Charles Stroom