Success installing Windows v2.2.1; first impressions (and some bugs)

John Roberts textpxy at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 04:16:55 EDT 2007

I installed GnuCash 2.2.1 on Windows XP.  Installation process went fine (no
errors).  I couldn't get version 2.2.0 to launch, but 2.2.1 does work!
(Note: it took ~20 seconds to start, so don't be alarmed if it starts a bit
slowly.)  I couldn't get 2.2.0 to launch, so the issue seems to have been
fixed.

General look and feel is terrific.  As a long-time Quicken user, after just
a few minutes of clicking around I'm getting the hang of it.  As part of
this process, I created a test file with a few accounts, stocks, etc. but I
have not yet tried importing from Quicken.

A few initial observations & bugs:
-- In the setup new accounts screen (which has at the top the text "If you
would like an account to be a placeholder account, just click the checkbox
for that account."  It's not possible to click or unclick the checkboxes
under "Placeholder".
-- I tried getting stock quotes.  In the "New security" dialog under "Quote
Source Information" it says: "Warning: Finance::Quote not installed
properly."  I think I need to install ActivePerl (per the Wiki), but I'm not
sure.  It would be nice if this process was better documented.
-- It took a few minutes to figure out that I'll have to create a separate
sub-account of brokerage accounts for each stock I own.  I think this
actually makes a lot of sense, but I need to ponder the implications more.
-- Tiny nit: Under the reconcile colum "y" seems to mean "reconciled" and
"n" seems to mean not reconciled and "c" means pending.  A graphic "check"
symbol would look nicer than "y" and blank would be nicer than "n".
Clicking on unreconciled transactions toggles them between "n" and "c" but
not "y" which is different from Quicken.  Also needs pondering.
-- It's not clear if/how I can make GnuCash prompt for a password when
changing transactions prior to a certain date (i.e., the date when my books
were closed).
-- The "Price editor" GNI is seems broken (or it's very non-intuitive).  In
particular, I think it should be possible to specify historical values for a
stock here.  Instead, each time I enter a new price, the entries for the
stock I created all get updated to the new price/date and I get multiple
entries for the stock.  Closing the price editor and going back seems to
show values that seem plausible.
-- The "general ledger" has a bunch of empty transactions in it.  I'm not
sure why.  They're dated with today's date and appear before the "Opening
Balance" transaction I created.  Clicking around on the screen causes the
blank transactions to vanish.  Trying to enter a new transaction into the
ledger creates warnings as I try to enter it saying "This transaction is
already being edited in another register.  Please finish editing it there
first."  Closed and re-opened gnucash.  Still funny empty "phantom"
transactions appearing in general ledger.  As I do other things, the number
of junk blank transactions seems to increase.
-- In the reconcile window, the symbolunder the "R" column that probably
should be a check-mark is just a bit of a squiggly line.  I think the
checkmark is too large to fit into the space allocated and as a result is
being cropped.
-- The "Save file automatically" dialog is annoying, especially since it
keeps popping up even when other programs are running.
-- My general status of the program's status is that it's "alpha-test"
quality.  It might be a good idea to convey this a bit better on the home
page, as a reviewer might otherwise expect it to be more polished and write
an (unfairly) negative review as a result.

[Note: I'm not currently subscribed for Bugzilla, so hopefully someone can
report any of these that seem significant.]