Printing problems - Gnucash 2.2.1/MacOS 10.4.10

Henry M. Benson hmb at hmbtech.com
Mon Aug 27 08:57:27 EDT 2007

David Reiser wrote:

> I believe you are seeing a gtk+ problem. Which version of gtk+ is
> macports using now? I thought gtkprint didn't arrive until gtk+ 2.10 and
> that macports was using 2.8. But I could be wrong.

First, thanks for the reply...

A recent update got me 2.10.14.

> I've been playing with an experimental gnome 2.19 setup in fink, using
> gtk+ 2.11.6 (and also 2.10.12 or .14) and gtkprint just doesn't seem to
> work with Apple's version of cups 1.1.23.

That's really disheartening, but good to know.

> If you can get the gtk+ maintainer to insert a s/GTK_PRINT_BACKENDS =
> file,cups/GTK_PRINT_BACKENDS = file,cups,lpr/ in a patch to Makefile.in,
> then at least gtk+ will always have the lpr backend. The lpr printer
> will print to the default Mac printer, even though the rest of the
> printing utility is problematic.

I'll patch my local copy first and see how that goes.

> Older versions of gnucash and even gnucash 2.2.1 built against gtk+ <=
> 2.6 (maybe 2.8) use gnomeprint instead of gtkprint. gnomeprint has other
> problems, but at least it, too, works with the Mac system default printer.

Do you think there's any point in trying to _downgrade_ the version of gtk+,
and/or is there a way to force gnucash to use gnomeprint?  (Though I'd guess
these would only defer the need to solve the problem, as opposed to actually
solving it.)

> Dave
> --
> David Reiser