Bug or feature?

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 09:15:30 EDT 2007

Sometimes I make payments to a particular vendor that are attributable
to one of several expense accounts. My heating oil supplier is an
example. Most of the payments to them are charged to the "heating oil"
expense account. But, once/year, I have them service my oil burner,
the payment for which is charged to the "heating system maintenance"
account.  The problem I want to describe flows from my own
carelessness: after entering a payment for the oil-burner service,
attributed to the correct expense account, I entered subsequent
payments for heating oil, and because the description is the same as
as the maintenance payment, automatic completion fills out the
transaction with the maintenance account on the debit side, which I
failed to notice, multiple times. So I accumulated a bunch of
transactions for heating oil that were attributed to the wrong expense
account.

To fix this, I did a search on the name of heating oil supplier, which
correctly turned up all the transactions involving them. Now I want to
double-click (to select) on the (correct) debit side of an older
transaction, copy it (ctrl-c) and then double-click on the debit sides
of the incorrect transactions, one by one, and paste the correct
expense account into them. The trouble is that when I double-click on
the source of the correct account, a blank line appears immediately
after it, shifting all subsequent transactions down by one line. Then
when I go to double-click on the debit side of an incorrect
transaction, the extra line disappears from after the (earlier) source
transaction and appears after the destination transaction. This shifts
the latter transaction up by one line after my first click and the
second click is therefore in the wrong place (the credit side). So,
for what I am trying to do, the UI is making my life more difficult.
Before I submit a bug report, I'd ask one of the developers to explain
the rationale for this behavior (the addition of a line following a
selected transaction), since there may be other considerations that
justify it.

/Don