Any interest in a "import from bank website" command?

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 12 23:22:27 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 07:02:09PM -0800, David Barrett wrote:
> Totally fair concerns.  I'll take each in turn:

snip

> - And finally, though I haven't heard any confusion on this point but I
> realize I didn't spell it out in my original email: this feature differs
> from the existing OFXDirectConnect/AqBanking feature in that it's much
> simpler to set up (just your regular bank domain/username/password),
> requires no premium banking accounts, and focuses exclusively on the task of
> downloading transaction histories.  Thus if you just want to quickly import
> or update your transaction history with minimal fuss, use this, but use
> OFXDirectConnect for more powerful online banking scenarios.

why not address many of these issues by moving the screen scraping
code off of your server and onto the user's machine? Then the user
controls the situation the level they are comfortable (from just
accepting it at face value to auditing the code line by line). There
are no concerns about you being a phisher or certificate authenticity
or giving up one's username/password to a thrid party.