Any interest in a "import from bank website" command?

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Thu Dec 13 00:11:43 EST 2007

That's not a bad idea, but it greatly restricts my ability to add new banks
and keep existing bank import engines up to date.

As to the first point, I want to support all banks, not just the ones that
have individual open-source contributors.  By hosting it centrally, I can
add new banks "on demand" as users supply me with their login information,
rather than waiting around for somebody to submit code that I have to take
on faith works.

Which leads me to my second point: without access to the login credentials,
I've absolutely no way to test whether or not it's working, nor any way to
fix it if it isn't.

Basically, while I love the security issues of a client-side scraping
engine, I have enough experience running and contributing to open source
projects to know that contributors come and go and the code must be testable
and fixable even if they disappear.  Client-side scraping sounds really good
in theory, but I'm afraid in practice will just result in a very high
fraction of broken import engines, reducing the overall quality of the
system beneath the threshold of utility.

At the end of the day, this is a component of a bigger system for a userbase
having a much higher expectation of reliability -- including committed SLAs.
Thus while I respect and appreciate alternate views on this, in my case I
need to stick with a hosted solution.

The upside, of course, is once I sort out the trust issues, you can count on
expensify.com for a much broader and more reliable catalog of bank import
engines than could otherwise be feasibly obtained.

So, with all that in mind, if I were to create a "File :: Import :: Bank
Website" command that pulls through the expensify.com OFX gateway, would you
use it?  How can I satisfy your fraud concerns?  Or is the feature itself
simply not interesting?

-david