Opening balance correction.

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 15 14:29:52 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 12:01:43PM -0600, jim wrote:
> Thanks Andrew for the response.  I may have misled everyone by using the
> term opening balance. The part that is incorrect is in the reconcile
> screen and is the "starting balance". I have checked repeatedly all
> entries for the year in question and all are correct. The difference
> must have occurred sometime during this past year when I did a
> reconciliation and unknowingly entered an incorrect starting balance.
> This makes all subsequent reconciliations to not reconcile as far as I
> have been able to determine. I suppose the only solution is to re-enter
> all the transactions without reconciling any of the periods, then doing
> a reconciliation at the end. Shouldn't take but about two, may three
> days.:(

If at some point that reconciled starting balance was correct and your
reconciliation was working correctly, and then suddenly the
reconcilied starting balance was wrong, the only explanation is that
you've changed something that was already reconciled. You'll have to
try again... going over everything with a fine toothed comb.

If it was *my* accounts, I would weigh the cost/benefit here. If I've
tweaked something by a few pennies to a few dollars, and I've spent a
reasonable amount of time trying to track it down, I'd be just as
likely to write it off. An entry to correct the balance (back to
Equity) is certainly reasonable. But it depends on your situation and
your stomach for that stuff. My time is worth too much to spend
hours/days trying to trakc down minor issues. but that's me.

> I do have another question. Is there a way to reverse the position of
> the columns, debit and credit (increase and decrease)? If so, I haven't
> found it yet. The reason? All printed registers and all software of
> which I'm aware, have the debits listed first, credits listed second...
> at least in my "neck of the woods".

My register displays this way by default.