What's your favorite year end method?

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 21:22:06 EST 2007

We're two people, normally active financially -- we have bills, we buy
stuff, we invest, have bank accounts, credit cards, etc. I have 10
years and more worth of transactions and quotes in my gnucash file,
and compressed, it's a little under 1.8 Mb, about 19 Mb uncompressed.
With processors and disks such as we have today (and I'm not willing
to predict when this is going to stop getting better), the equipment
doesn't even begin to break a sweat. gnucash comes up quickly, all
normal processing (other than certain reports) happens essentially
instantaneously (on any one of my three laptops -- a TP T60, a TP G41
and a Toshiba Libretto and my wife's TP Z60). Since we're running on
yesterday's super-computers, my approach to year-end is to do nothing.
If I want to see yearly income statements or balance-sheets as of a
certain date, I do it with reports, some of which I generate with a
separate Python program I'm working on that reads and processes the
gnucash xml file (and re our current discussion, it presently takes
less than 30 seconds on the T60 to uncompress and parse the gnucash
file, process it and generate an income statement, a balance sheet,
and an unrealized gains report) and generates a latex file for textual
reports and (soon) gnuplot and .csv files for graphical reports. If
this program ever reaches the point where I think it can be useful to
anyone other than me (and I have the time to document and support it)
and people want it, I'll share it with the gnucash community.

/Don