What's your favorite year end method?

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 17 11:47:28 EST 2007

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 05:29:17PM -0700, Ron Morse wrote:
> I would offer that the Gnucash data file is really pretty compact (three
> years worth of stuff for me is still under 300Kb) so I don't feel a
> pressing need to split the file.  I do make a copy as I close out each
> year, but that's a simple matter of file > save as when I get to the
> point that I have reconciled all the accounts that are going to get
> reconciled.

the size of the data set begins to become an issue in the reports
before anywhere else. My largest file is currently 1.5MB compressed, and
while all the register functions, find, sorting, etc work just fine,
the reports are beginning to become a problem. Some of them are not
very efficient (especially Income Statement pre 2.2.2) with a single
run of the report taking a couplem inutes or more (not a very fast
machine here, but still...). Other reports aren't so bad, but it does
get to be a drag.

So that's the issue I see with large data sets.