Anyone have some nice python code that will slice and dice a gnucash XML file, but leave it whole?

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Dec 17 16:01:57 EST 2007

John Griessen <john_g at cibolo.com> writes:
> Finding a safe, easy way to trim out old data,
> maybe combined with using equity, assets, and liabilities in a formal closeout
> would be helpful.
>
> Deleting old data will change the gnucash account balances whether you do a formal close or not.
> I am thinking of closing out up to 2006 end, checking that
> 2007 numbers are correct, backing up, then chopping out old data and adjusting balances back to correct
> before continuing to add more data.  That should cut the file size down a lot.

Answering the subject, be sure to check out
<http://www.parit.ca/projects/pythongnucash> if it's not already been
mentioned.

It'd sure be nice, though, if there was a C-implemented version of this
commonly-requested "year-end" procedure that could be bound to a menu item
and shipped as part of the app.

(But I well understand the motivation for instead writing the far-simpler
one-off stand-alone python program.)

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}