What's your favorite year end method?

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 24 18:04:57 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 06:34:33PM +0100, Johan van Oostrum wrote:

heavy snipping...

> I am a Business Analyst that did some programming in the past. It
> took me less than four odd hours to master Scheme on such a level as
> to be able to modify a report (ad sort-option to the portfolio in GC
> 1.8.x)
> The one thing would-be report hackers and maintainers should to do is
> read some chapters of the (free) Scheme book by Kent Dybvig: http://
> www.scheme.com/tspl3/
> Without any previous Lisp knowledge. I have to admit, without the
> book I would be lost.
>
> To conclude, knowing some Scheme now, I think it is a wonderfull
> language and worth the little time invested to get to know it.

That's it in a nutshell for me too. Scheme is a great language and I
don't see any barriers to report writing as a result of using
scheme. And it *is* really simple to learn, and very
powerful. Regardless of which language, the hard part of report
writing is understanding the data you can get from the engine API and
further what the available functions are. So, if that part is hard,
then using a really simple language makes sense.