Scheduled transaction crash - shows wrong version?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 28 07:32:40 EST 2007

Hi,

Quoting JimR <gnucashmail at oneyv.org>:

> Today, I tried to run my first Scheduled Transaction Since Last Run.  It
> crashed, and suggested that I install bug-buddy to report the results.
> I did, and created a fake scheduled transaction to recreate the error.
> When I get the "Since Last Run ..." dialog up, and click the OK button,
> it crashes.  It sent a bug-buddy report to bugzilla as #506011.
> However, I am very confused that it reported my gnucash version as 2.0.5
> in bugzilla.  I have a hunch that this is a strong part of the reason
> for the crash.

Interesting backtrace...

> When I do Help About under gnucash, it correctly shows version 2.2.2.
> The new version 2.2.2 is installed under /usr/local/bin .  The old
> version  (which came with my Mandriva base install) version 2.0.5 is
> under /etc/bin, but I renamed the files gnucash, gnucash-bin,
> gnucash-env and gnucash-valgrind all to .old.  There are no other
> gnucash files in /usr/bin.

Your problem is that you didn't "rpm -e gnucash" to completely
remove the 2.0.5 sources.  What's going on is that you've left
all of the gnucash libraries in place in a way that they could
interfere with your /usr/local installation.

I suggest you "make uninstall" your 2.2 sources, then "make distclean",
then reconfigure with --prefix=/opt/gnucash and THEN reinstall gnucash
into there.

> Help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>
> PS - Don't know if it is pertinent or not, but when I inspect the .log
> files after the crash, I notice what appears to be some date strings of
> 1969-12-31 19:00:00.000000 -0500 (I am in U.S. EST), which I suspect is
> the *nix "beginning of time" date.

It is.  I think that the SX system doesn't set the txn entered date
properly.