LOAN ACCOUNT PROBLEMS

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 21:11:25 EST 2007

On Dec 29, 2007 11:55 AM, Christopher P Hunt <thehunt at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> I am currently setting up my personal finances using GnuCash 2.2.2 on a
> WINXP SP2 platform.

Me too.

I have set up my account structure and downloaded all my Bank
> Account/Loan Account/Credit Card transactions using the QIF format and
> imported them into my account structure.  I have then been allocating

Do you mean that the QIF data came directly from your financial
institutions? Or did it come from another finance program, such as Quicken?
When you look in the QIF file(s) at the payments, are the amounts shown for
the bank account transactions negative? Are the amounts shown for the loan
account transactions positive? (That's how mine are.)

transfer categories to each transaction.  This has worked as per the
> documentation except for when I transfer money from my ASSETS:CURRENT
> ASSETS:BANK ACCOUNT (type bank account) to my LIABILITIES:LOAN ACCOUNT
> (type liability account)  When downloading the transaction qif files for
> these accounts I have two entries one in the Bank Account showing a
> withdrawal of the appropriate amount and the other in the Loan Account
> showing an increase of the correct amount.  Noting these were the same
> transaction I deleted one and then assigned the other a transfer from
> one account to the other.  However when I transfer from the Bank Account
> to the loan account it shows up as a decrease in the loan account and
> increases the debt (reverse of what it should be).  I then tried it the
> other way round and when I set the transfer in the loan account from the
> bank account it shows up as a deposit in the bank account not a
> withdrawal.
>
> For clarification in my loan account money going out (eg money going to
> my fixed assets:house) show up in black in the decrease column,
> payments show in the increase column in black and the balance in in red
> as a negative figure.
>

> Hope this makes sense and someone can either explain what I'm doing
> wrong or confirm this as a bug.  Also is there a way to tell gnucash
> when importing qif files that the two entries in the separate accounts
> are the same transaction?

Strange. All my loans and payments were imported perfectly, so I wouldn't
immediately suspect a bug.

Other than this problem GnuCash is stable on my XP SP2 machine and I
> have set up my credit card, shares account and mutual fund and all seem
> to be functioning correctly.
>
> Any help or direction will be great fully received
>
> Christopher Hunt

Cheers,
Charles