LOAN ACCOUNT PROBLEMS

Christopher P Hunt thehunt at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 30 07:27:00 EST 2007

Hi Charles,

Think I have found the problem to my dilema.  The qif files I am
downloading from my financial institution treat both loan (liability)
and Bank (asset) accounts the same and therefore show Debits (Deposits)
as a positive figure & Credits (Withdrawls) as a negative figure.
However as I have read in the GnuCash help files this is incorrect as
debits & credits work oppositely in the two type of accounts.  Therefore
the payments from my bank account to my loan account are correct,
however the transactions imported via qif for my loan accounts are
reversed because of incorrect -/+ sign.  When I look at my account
electronically the transactions appear in the correct debit/credit
columns but after importing into GnuCash they are transposed into the
opposite columns, so I will talk to my financial institute and see if
they can rectify the problem with their process when creating qif files
from loan accounts.

Thanks you for the reply it certainly pointed me in the right direction
to identify the reason behind my problem.

Regards
Christopher