Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 11 17:52:32 EST 2007

Quoting Brian Talley <b225ccc at gmail.com>:

> There have been times in the past that I wanted to do this - the
> details I can't recall anymore.  But, let's take my current scenario:
>
> I switch to GnuCash in October, 2006.  At the time of switch, I go
> back to say August, 2006 and start entering transactions.  As I work
> through these statements, all the accounts I think I need get created
> and everything balances/reconciles, etc.  Then, let's say, in February
> 2007, I realized the way I've been tracking my auto loan hasn't been
> sufficient and I want to modify it.  At the same time, I feel like I
> have a good grip on what I'm doing and I want to go back through
> December, 2005 (the origination date) and enter all the data about my
> loan.  It's only one payment per month, so it's not that big of a deal
> to go back and enter the information.  But, as you see where I'm
> going, the payments I entered that occurred between December 2005 and
> August 2006 aren't reconciled.  In this case, TO ME, it seems logical
> to just force the transactions as reconciled.

You're thinking too hard about the problem.  The next month all you have
to do is run the reconcile dialog, ignore the starting balance, make
sure the ENDING balance is correct, and then just mark off all those old
transactions at once.