Too many .log and .xac files

David Berg drberg1000 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:11:47 EST 2007

Josh Sled wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 12:39 -0600, David Berg wrote:
>> I would like to have them around, but don't want to see them.  Has there
>> been discussion of storing them in a hidden directory?  Would this be an
>>   easy change to make in the source?
>
> I can't think of any other software that hides its backup files in this
> way, and think it would be confusing to do so.

OpenOffice defaults to using ~/.openoffice/user/backups

I believe Vim's default is to use filename~ which gnome allows to be hidden

Though not really backups... there are vim's .swp files which are hidden
files.

Gimp doesn't keep backups at all leaving it up to the users.  Although,
this may be due in part to space constraints in dealing with images.

I actually can't think of a program that does keep a whole slew of
backups around in the same directory as the original.  One perhaps, but
not 30.  I may have seen programs that create a visible backup
directory.  Something like ~/Banking\ Files/Backups would be an
improvement on the current settings ... at least for me.

Regardless of whether it's a good design decision, I'd like to change
the program for my own install to use a hidden directory.  I'm not
familiar with the gnucash source at all though.  Would this be an easy
change?  Where would I start?

> I also think the default value of retaining 30 days worth of backups is
> way overkill, and leads to more user irritation than safety.  As such,
> I've been meaning to propose lowering it to 1 for future releases.
> Objection?

The 30 day setting is great, if the files are stored out of the way.
Its not like they take up significant disk space.

--Dave