Gnucash-2.0.4 Make Error

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 21 19:06:39 EST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Maybe.  You really should use your distribution's version of guile and
> slib and NOT install it yourself by hand!

   Slackware users need to use the Freerock Gnome packages, and they have not
yet released a Slackware-11.0 version. I'm using the frg-current, but had to
build some packages myself. I'd prefer to not do this, but it's what we need
to do. Yesterday I replaced the older guile with 1.8.1, but still have the
slib-2d6-i486-3frg that was already installed.

>>   2)  Is Gnucash sensitive to the slib version installed?
>
> Yes...  BUT 2.0.5 SHOULD be less sensitive. The error above implies
> that guile + slib aren't playing nice... Or you didn't build the
> slibcat file after installing it all by hand.

   Perhaps, then, I need to upgrade slib, too, to the 3a4 version. The
instructions on the SLIB web site are straight-forward enough. They say that
for guile, it should be installed in /usr/share/guile/site/, so the ones in
/usr/local/lib/ don't belong there. It seems, however, that if I do install
it in /usr/local/lib, I need to make that ${SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH} and make
/usr/share/guile/slib a soft link to it.

   I don't see explicit instructions for building the slibcat file with the
guile implementation of scheme.

   Yes, it would be nice if the current Slackware included the current Gnome
and I could simply install gnucash-2.0.5 and use it. But, since I need to
hand tune everything, your guidance will help me through it much more
quickly than if I take the trial and error route.

Rich