Income statements - multiple businesses

Jeff Carneal jeff-ml at carneal.com
Thu Feb 22 13:22:22 EST 2007

I have multiple businesses, each with their set of asset accounts.
The income accounts to which revenue transfers for each of them are
common to all the businesses (this is a holdover from some quicken
limitations).  I would like to be able to do an income statement and
balance sheet for each business at the end of each calendar (also
fiscal) year.  I'm having trouble doing this in two ways:

1)  Each report takes upwards of 10 minutes to generate

My data file has 7 years worth of data and is somewhat large.  Is
there a way to speed this up through filters or preferences or
something?  I really would prefer not to close out my books each year.

To make matters worse, there appears to be no way to set the options
for a report before generating it.  Thus, I initiate the report, wait
10 minutes for it to generate, go to options and set them
accordingly, apply and wait another 10 minutes.  Am I missing a way
to skip that first report generation or at least speed it up?

2)  I cannot seem to limit the report output based on a particular
business's originating asset account (or set of accounts)

For example, assume the following account structure:

Assets:Biz:Biz-1-Checking
Assets:Biz:Biz-2-Checking
Income:Biz:Biz
Income:Biz:Biz:Some-sub-acct

Thus, if I take in revenue for either Biz-1 or Biz-2 in their
respective checking accounts, it goes to Income:Biz or one of its
subaccounts.  I do this because the businesses are related, and in
Quicken it was all simply categories rather than accounts.

What I need to do is limit the transactions the Income statement
utilizes for each business to those which originate from that
particular business's checking account and transfer to the common
Income account.  Is this possible?

If not, is the best way to do it to change all the income accounts
corresponding to Biz-1:Checking to something like Income:Biz:Biz-1?
Ala:

Income:Biz:Biz-1-income
Income:Biz:Biz-1-income:Subacct
Income:Biz:Biz-2-income