No Help doc or Tutorial on Intel Mac OS X

Lewis Overton akakie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 15:22:22 EST 2007

I see a lot of mail about the same problem -- no help or tutorial and many
suggestions which seem to revolve around a missing library or program. That
makes me wonder if there isn't one underlying problem of things getting
misplaced from the many ways of doing installs.

Maybe it would help to list how to diagnose the "missing" (or misplaced)
component.

In my case the problem was that gnome-help could not find a library it
needed. The solution was to provide a symbolic link to where the library
actually was installed from where gnome-help (called by gnucash) thought it
should be to the actual location.

I installed via MacPorts which puts stuff in /opt, not Fink which puts stuff
in /sw, but you may be having the same general problem.

##  How I found my solution ##

1. Attempt to reference Help from within gnucash
2. Open the console
3. Open ~/Library/logs
4. Choose "Crash Reporter"
5. select either gnome-help.crash.log or gnucash-bin.crash.log
6. look for the (probably) first error
7. locate the actual location of libdbus-1.2.dylib which I found in
    /opt/local/var/db/dports/software/dbus/0.61_2/opt/local/lib/
8. make a symbolic link from the expected location to the real one

In my case, the reported error was:

Link (dyld) error:
> Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.2.dylib
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/gnome-help

The symbolic link I used was:

cd /opt/local/lib
> ln
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/software/dbus/0.61_2/opt/local/lib/libdbus-
> 1.2.dylib
> libdbus-1.2.dylib

Note: enter ln command as one line. Line breaks are from email.

After this change, I have access to Help and Tutorial from within gnucash.

On 2/24/07, David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2007, at 10:08:21 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > I don't know if David is on this list, so I'm forwarding it to
> > him because he's tied into the Fink community.
>
> Yes, I'm here. And fancy that -- I'm the gnucash2-docs maintainer for
> fink, too. Hmm. Must have told bmaret he could make me maintainer of
> that package, too.
> >
> > -derek
> >
> > Quoting "D. L. Fuller" <dlfuller at clientandfuller.com>:
> >
> >> I successfully compiled and installed both gnucash-2.0.4 and
> >> gnucash-2.0.5 on an Intel iMac running OSX 10.4.8.  Also yelp and
> >> gnucash-docs-2.0.1 were compiled and installed.
> >>
> >> But Help and the Tutorial do not work, both with an Error dialog of
> >> "GnuCash could not find the files for the help documentation".

Looks like you don't have scrollkeeper still installed.