Gnucash-2.0.5 Run Error

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Fri Feb 23 13:15:27 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 09:32 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    My apologies to you, Josh, and the list for not having slowed down, looked
> carefully at the main source directory, and seen the README and
> README.dependencies files. I have no excuse because I always read the README
> and INSTALL files before configuring and making a new tarball.

Well, certainly "README.dependencies" isn't a common or "standard" file.
Also, it really exists for a slightly different purpose, which was to
understand the "lay of the land" with respect to which library versions
we could safely depend on for the major distros.  But it has turned out
to be useful for people who don't want to keep re-running ./configure,
waiting for it to fail, installing the dep, re-running ./configure ...

At the same time, it does duplicate a bit of the detail of
configure.in ... which is actually authoritative about which dependent
packages and versions are required.

As for the ordering ... the ordering is function of the dependency
relations between the packages.   Abstractly, it's unclear why we should
specify the order of building guile, slib and g-wrap, which are all
other projects.  Any reasonable package management system is going to
encode these relationships, and be able to generate this ordering on
demand.

>    I'll be happy to update the wiki or docs when I do get it all working.
> And, I'll have a SlackBuild script, too, for making packages. (Actually, I
> have it now, but I need to start from basics in the installation.)

Updated SlackBuild scripts would be good for all.  It seems like you
should contribute these back to FreeRock GNOME.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}