Upgrade Question

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 02:06:02 EST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 1:43 AM, David T. wrote:

> --- David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Things being installed out of order is almost certainly a fink issue.
>
> I don't recall how many iterations, but I think it took four times
> through: the
> first time through, it listed a huge number of dependencies (like
> 59); the
> second, it was at 22, the third was 14, and the fourth was 10.
>
>> have a PPC mac, and I have qt3 3.3.7-1021 (one version 'old' in the
>> fink sense). Gnucash 2.0.4 (and Head) compile fine for me. The first
>
> Perhaps I wasn't entirely clear: GnuCash 2.0.4 is running for me
> compiled
> against qt3-3.3.5

I think that's what I thought you said. Mine works against qt3-3.3.7,
so I don't know if your problem arose via different behaviors on
Intel vs. PPC Macs.

>> One other thought: I hope you are being _very_ careful about your
>> PATH while trying to deal with both macports (aka darwinports) and
>> fink on the same machine. I tried that for a while and it got to be
>
> Uh, careful? You mean I'm supposed to change something if I use one
> or the
> other? Augh. I haven't!

Both by default modify your path to include their base directory
first in your path. Whichever you installed first (fink or macports)
has some risk of finding software compiled by the other when trying
to build new things. This isn't always a problem, but when you do run
into problems, the troubleshooting process can get extremely
aggravating.

> I hope that I haven't blown it all up...

You might have tied some knots in your installations, but as long as
things run, you haven't blown them up.

Dave
--
David Reiser