Cash Handling?

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 14:12:22 EST 2007

On 2007-01-16, Tad Marko wrote:

> Since I pay for most things will a credit or debit card, I have in the
> past, using Quicken, I've only tracked cash as an expense. I've
> set up GnuCash similarly, but I want to gradually get better about
> tracking those expenditures. Would it make sense to leave cash as an
> expense account, but when I do have receipts to put rebate entries
> into the cash account, linking those expenses to their proper account?

The canonical thing to do is to have an asset account for cash.

A cash withdrawal is a transfer from Assets:Current_Account to
Assets:Cash.  If you remember that you bought stamps or you got a
receipt, make a transfer from Assets:Cash to Expenses:Postage.

Every once in a while (as you see fit), make the balance Assets:Cash
equal the balance of your wallet with an adjustment; you could just
"spend" it all in one account, or split it among your best guesses as
to how you spent it.

(And now my question)
I've been using the Expenses:Adjustment account that came in the
default tree for this purpose --- is that correct?