Trouble setting up Finance::Quote

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 15:15:27 EST 2007

Oh man, I think I'm starting to understand where some of my own problems on
this front are coming from (I am running GC2.0.4 on an IntelMac)--and I think I
might have an idea on how Cory's problem might be solved.

I believe the problem has to do with the fact that the Mac ends up with two
separate environments--one for the base Terminal.app, and the second for X11.
Fink runs under Terminal. Issuing the command gnc-fq-check at the Terminal
command line yields the proper results; issuing the same command in X11 yields
a File not found error.

When I examine the PATH variables in each, I see:

1) Terminal:
PATH=/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
2) X11: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

When I add the opt and sw directories in X11, gnc-fq-check begins to work, and
F::Q works within GC once I restart GC. I tried editing my .profile to add the
sw directories, but that did not take under X11 (I believe I need to change
something else than .profile). Under these circumstances, however, when I run
gnucash, now receive a slew of errors at the command line that all begin:

(gnucash:791): GLib-CRITICAL **: Invalid key name: {varname}

Gnucash seems to run, but what are these? Never saw 'em before...

And, what needs to change so that X11 gets the right PATH entries to enable
this?

Cheers,
David