Mixed-currency transactions broken in Gnucash 2?

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Sun Jan 21 12:12:09 EST 2007

Hi

This has worked fine for years, but with GnuCash 2, foreign currency
transactions seem to break in a worrying way which actually undermines
GnuCash's basic principle (i.e. double-entry accounting).

Let's say I have account A which is in EUR, and accounts B and C which
are in GBP.  I create a split transaction in account A like so:

Memo                Account     Inc.   Dec.
Some Transaction
                     Account:B   10.00
                     Account:C   10.00
                     Account:A          20.00

All fine. Because accounts (B,C) and A are in different currencies,
there is clearly an implicit conversion. In this case, I set that the
conversion should be based on a fixed exchange rate (let's say 1EUR =
0.6GBP for simplicity) rather than a "To amount".

Now, if I head over to account B and open up the splits of the same
transaction, I would expect to see this:

Memo                Account     Inc.   Dec.
Some Transaction
                     Account:B   6.00
                     Account:C   6.00
                     Account:A          12.00

Instead I see:

Memo                Account     Inc.   Dec.
Some Transaction
                     Account:B
                     Account:C
                     Account:A

All the values are missing! Same in account C. Worse, this isn't just a
display bug - the line total for that transaction is zero in accounts B
& C, making the totals wrong. In other words, the money has just
"disappeared".

Very odd. Has anyone else seen this?

I haven't reproduced this on a clean set of accounts but it is happening
reproducibly when I enter new transactions into my existing GnuCash
accounts.  Interestingly (and thankfully), previous transactions that I
entered with GC 1.x seem to be OK.

Thanks

Tim