QIF import duplicate question

James A. de Haseth jdehaseth at snappydsl.net
Thu Jan 25 13:48:31 EST 2007

I am having a bit of trouble with duplicate entries in an import from
QIF files.  In the old app, which was quasi double-book accounting, I
could pay a credit card from my checking account, so the checking
account may have a QIF entry:

D01/01/2006
N101
Cx
T-100.00
PVISA
LLiability:Credit Cards:VISA

and an appropriate record is created in the checking account and a
payment is created in the VISA account.

On the other hand the VISA QIF has an entry:

D01/01/2006
NPayment
Cx
T100.00
PVISA
LAssets:Current Assets:Checking

so, a record is created in the VISA and checking accounts.

The first QIF entry creates 101 for the check number in both accounts,
which makes no sense in the VISA register, and the second one creates
Payment records in both accounts, which makes no sense in the Checking
account.

The duplicate record clear does nothing to fix this.  If I delete the
bad record in the respective accounts (very tedious for umpteen accounts
and 10 yrs of data!) the right records are not linked.  Only the
original records in the primary account (101 in Checking and Payment in
VISA) are reconciled.

Clearly I'm missing something.  Is there a way out of this mess? I'd
like to retain linkage between the records and avoid duplicates.

(BTW I'm using GC 2.0.4, built on Fedora Core 5.)

Many thanks,

Jim