Custom Reports

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 14:53:48 EST 2007

Josh, Derek--

Thanks for the replies.

My installation of 2.0.4 still allows me to add duplicate entries in my
saved-reports file. I have not yet ironed out all the kinks in my Mac
installation, but there are times when the Add Report button remains active
even after it's been clicked; subsequent clicks result in duplicate report
entries and I encounter crashes.

[And, now my excuse for a brain will begin to ferment. Apologies to all if this
is inappropriate.]

If a Delete Report function were in place, then the Add Report function could
begin by deleting any saved report entry, and then proceeding as before, thus
eliminating the duplicate report problem.

Alternatively, a SavedReportExists function could trap and prompt users if they
were about to replace an existing report (or it could be set up to
programmatically rename a report, similar to how OS X adds a "-2" to a new file
with an existing filename--although I personally find this sort of 'help' less
than helpful).

Finally, a ReportDirty option could be used to query users whether they want to
save a report they've modified before closing. I imagine this would require
that a report's scheme code be generated and then diffed against the copy in
saved-reports, but seeing how I am basically a user with a little knowledge
(i.e., dangerous to myself and others), I defer to others.

Sincerely,
David