Basic reporting: Subtotal by Description field?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 13:55:13 EST 2007

Using a transaction report or another standard report, should I be
able to automatically subtotal transactions within an account using
their description? I ask because I see that reporting option in the
Transaction Report and I have tried all the variations I can think of,
but the report is not subtotaling by the descriptions.

For example, I see last years' items in the charity account, and I
have the total for the year, but I would like it broken out and
subtotaled by each charity we contributed to.

It looks like I will have to manually create sub-accounts for each
charity I want a separate subtotal for. Am I missing something easier?