Moving from gnucash 1.8 to 2.0: startup error: "can't parse the URL"

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jul 1 23:35:18 EDT 2007

The definitive answer is that you should never have saved your datafile
there.  In 2.0.x gnucash changed how it stored metadata.  In 1.8 and prior
it would store the metadata for /path/to/datafile in
~/.gnucash/books/<encoded-path-to-datafile> but as of 2.0 it changed
to storing the metadata as ~/.gnucash/books/datafile

What this means is that if you erroneously stored your data in
~/.gnucash/books then as of 2.0 gnucash would overwrite that with
the metadata.

YOU SHOULD NEVER STORE YOUR DATA IN ~/.gnucash

-derek