Moving from gnucash 1.8 to 2.0: startup error: "can't parse the URL"

billmc cnonline.net billmc at cnonline.net
Sun Jul 1 23:48:52 EDT 2007

See my comments below......

On 7/1/07, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> The definitive answer is that you should never have saved your datafile
> there.

I saved the data where  gnucash wanted to save the data. I didn't pick that
location. My initial email had an error in it. The data was stored in
~/.gnucash/books/FirstTech.  My bad, and my apologies. (But even this
seems to be wrong, based on your comments later....)

 In 2.0.x gnucash changed how it stored metadata.  In 1.8 and prior
> it would store the metadata for /path/to/datafile in
> ~/.gnucash/books/<encoded-path-to-datafile> but as of 2.0 it changed
> to storing the metadata as ~/.gnucash/books/datafile
>
> What this means is that if you erroneously stored your data in
> ~/.gnucash/books then as of 2.0 gnucash would overwrite that with
> the metadata.
>
> YOU SHOULD NEVER STORE YOUR DATA IN ~/.gnucash

Well, where is the data supposed to be saved if not in ~/.gnucash/books/?

I have the data backed up and can copy to the appropriate location.
Where is it supposed to live?

Bill Mc.