Delays in transfers between accounts

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Jul 8 20:03:57 EDT 2007

Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> It occurred to me, that if you record checks only when they appear on your
> statement, your cashbook balance will not allow for them and will be
> artificially high.

Could you explain what you mean by this? Honestly, I did not follow your
explanation at all. What is my cashbook balance? What is a cashbook?

> If it is a question of avoiding unintentional overdrafts,

No. I said that I want my GnuCash account balances to show the money
that I actually had available in the account. I don't want GnuCash to
say that on March 15 I had $1800 when in reality I had $4600 and I don't
want it to say that on February 12 I had $7000 when in reality I had
$200. I want the bank balances to be accurate. I gave the example of an
over-draft in the sense that I don't want GnuCash to say that on a
certain date I had an over-draft of $2000 when in reality my bank
balance was perfectly positive. I have no idea why you think this has
anything to do with avoiding real-life overdrafts. I know how much money
I have available at each time and it's not hard to not spend more money
than I have in the bank. Why would I need GnuCash to avoid spending more
money than I have in the bank?

> It was
> the office accountant's fault for not clearing the cheque first.  If the
> client's cheque had not been recorded in the ledger, that could have happened
> more easily and more frequently.

Recording a deposit when the money is actually available would prevent,
rather than promote this type of error. It seems wrong to record in
GnuCash that I have an additional $2,000 in my account before I actually
have that money there. Since you are keen on preventing over-drafts
(I've never had problems with over-drafts), using a transit account to
record money that has left one account (e.g. on an electronic transfer)
but is not yet available in the destination account seems like a very
good idea.

Daniel.