Gnucash 2.2.0 doesn't start in Windows XP

Forrest Sedgwick fsedgwic at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 18 10:28:56 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

First, I'd like to say that I've been using Gnucash for about two years
now on Fedora and I think it is a truly fantastic program, one of my
"must-have" pieces of software.  I was very excited to learn that I
might be able to run it when I boot in Windows as well.  I recently
installed Gnucash 2.2.0 but I have been unable to run the program (nor
have I been able to run earlier Windows binaries).  I begin by trying
the Start menu; a gnucash-bin process shows up for a short while, then
disappears, leaving an empty .trace file in ../tmp.  After poking around
on these lists a little bit, I try to start gconf manually with
"gconftool-2 --spawn".  It takes a minute for the command to finish
executing, but when it does finish there is a gconfd-2 process running.
I try running gnucash.bat again, and again nothing shows up; but the
gconfd-2 process is terminated and another empty .trace file shows up.
I'm using Windows XP Professional (ver. 2002 SP 2), run as an
administrator.  Please let me know if there is any other information I
can retrieve for you.  Thanks in advance for any help!

-Forrest