Gnucash 2.2.0 doesn't start in Windows XP

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Wed Jul 18 16:58:10 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 07:28:56AM -0700, Forrest Sedgwick wrote:
> I recently installed Gnucash 2.2.0 but I have been unable to run the
> program (nor have I been able to run earlier Windows binaries).  I
> begin by trying the Start menu; a gnucash-bin process shows up for a
> short while, then disappears, leaving an empty .trace file in ../tmp.
> After poking around on these lists a little bit, I try to start gconf
> manually with "gconftool-2 --spawn".  It takes a minute for the
> command to finish executing, but when it does finish there is a
> gconfd-2 process running.  I try running gnucash.bat again, and again
> nothing shows up; but the gconfd-2 process is terminated and another
> empty .trace file shows up.  I'm using Windows XP Professional (ver.
> 2002 SP 2), run as an administrator.

This sounds a lot like the problem that I'm having with GnuCash on
Windows.  Here's the thread that I started:

* http://readlist.com/lists/gnucash.org/gnucash-user/0/4165.html

Does that sounds familiar?

As you can see from the thread, we tried a bunch of stuff, but everyone
ran out of debugging ideas.

Has anyone else running GnuCash on Windows been able to fix a problem
like this?

Tom Purl