Font issue

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:37:13 EDT 2007

On 7/19/07, Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> wrote:
> "Donald Allen" <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:
> > I tried the example .gtkrc-2.0-gnucash. Specifically, I tried changing
> > the gnc-register font-name from 'Sans 10' to 'Sans 9'. This had the
> > effect of completely blanking the bottom of any register, so that you
> > can't see the last N transactions. But when I scrolled up, the earlier
> > transactions were visible and indeed their appearance was different
> > than before, in a smaller, less bold font.
>
> Huh, that sounds like a bug.  At least the font did change, though. :)
Bitten by necessary but not sufficient again!

> > Perhaps there is no 'Sans
> > 9'? And this is the response to that? I have no idea where the font
> > files are that gnucash uses, so I don't know what my choices are. I
> > did search the filesystem for '*sans*' and '*Sans*', which didn't turn
> > up any useful clues. So I'm guessing you are on the right track, but
> > I'm just not sure what the valid choices are (assuming my guess that I
> > made an invalid choice is correct).
>
> Fonts are provided by font libraries and X Windows.  In this case, Gtk and
> Pango, which I believe uses freetype.  `xfontsel` might give you the
> historical x font selector, but `gnome-font-properties` should bring up
> gnome's font control panel, which is generally nicer to use and might even
> let you set the default font for other gtk/gnome apps.

Well, gnome-font-properties, which I didn't know about,  did the
trick. I ran it and set 'Application font' to 9-point Sans (it was
10). gnucash was running at the time, and the displayed register got
quite confused, with parts of it blank, as I described before. BUT, I
quit and restarted gnucash, and it is now happy and looks much better.
I didn't mention it before, since this is a gnucash group, but there
were other apps (e.g., Firefox) that were coming up using too-large,
too-bold fonts. This change fixed them, too. So thanks very much for
the suggestion.

/Don