Gnucash v2.2.0 failing to launch (Windows version)

John Roberts textpxy at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 09:22:33 EDT 2007

I'm unable to get GnuCash to launch properly on Windows XP.  However, I left
it overnight and when I came back in the morning there was the following
error:

"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for
gnucash.  Some of your configuration settings may not work properly."
Clicking on details reveals: "Adding client to server's lise failed, CORBA
error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0.  Adding client to server's list
failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0"

Other things that seem strange from a bit of poking around:
- Gnucash seems to be looking for C:\Program Files\gnucash\lib\locale\en_US
or C:\Program Files\gnucash\lib\locale\en, but neither exists.  Creating
en_US with the contents of en_CA doen't help anything, however.
- Gnucash set off various software firewalls when it started up because
apparently it's awaiting incoming TCP connections.  The first time I ran it,
I told the firewall programs to block these (under the theory that there's
zero legitimate reason Gnucash would ever want to receive incoming
connections).  I tried unblocking & re-running, but I'm not certain I
unblocked everywhere.  It's not clear to me what gconfd-2.exe is, how it
interacts with gnucash-bin.exe, or what's going on here.
- After a fairly long time (15 minutes?), .\gconftool-2.exe appeared in a
separate command line window, sits there for about 30 seconds, and closes.

The computer it's being run on is a fairly clean XP box with current patches
and which does not have much installed in terms of open source software.
(For example, if there may be something that's required that the installer
is omitting, it's probably not installed on the box.)