Cap gain split recording process from gnucash guide no longer valid?

Oliver Iberien odilist at sonic.net
Sun Jul 22 19:55:17 EDT 2007

Using the MacPorts 2.0.5 version, and trying to follow the example at

http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html#invest-sellexample2

I find that this does not work at all.  Gnucash does not let me enter
"Profit" as a zero-share, zero-price transaction any longer (it used to
let me in version 2 on FreeBSD).  In general, this version of Gnucash
seems inclined to do a lot of not-helpful recalculating when I follow
this model, so Profit keeps getting reinterpreted to figures which throw
off the number of shares actually sold.  Could someone tell me what the
accepted method is now? Thanks.