Gnucash v2.2.0 failing to launch (Windows version)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Jul 22 21:35:22 EDT 2007

>Hi,
>
>Not wanting to join a lynch mob, 'cause I do not use Windows much, but I
>thoiught a good Windows version of gc would be useful for my accountant
>(previous idea was gnucash liveCD), and I may have been able to twist
>his arm for some useful Aussie charts of Account.  But gc for Windows
>would not run for me either under XO with SP2.  Problem is, I do not
>know how to gather de-bugging info in Windowes.
>
>Andrew Greig

This information may be of use.

I had the download (the link provided by the gnucash.org site) burned
and a CD sent to me of the Jul 14th release of GnuCash 2.2.0 (not
practical to download here at the house where I rarely have a connection
 > 28.8 kbaud)

I installed it under XP while logged in as administrator. (if my system
is properly configured, I shouldn't be able to add or remove software
when an "ordinary user")

I have no problem getting GnuCash to run while logged in as ordinary
user. (I don't run user apps while administrator)

The worst mistake you can make when dealing with computer problems is
jumping to conclusions about what went wrong. What you need to do first
is try to imagine ALL the things that could be the cause. What have you
done? You went to a site, downloaded what you supposed was the release
for Windows, burned it to a CD or DVD (I am just assuming you did that
before trying to install), installed it (or tried to), and then tried to
run it. List the possibilities.
1) Wrong link used for download.
2) Download contained an undetected error.
3) Burn failed to be correct.
4) Some step of the install process was misunderstood when reading the
instructions (you DID find and read the "read me" for this install
before just "doing it", yes?)
5) The install failed (for those for whom it appeared to install but
they can't run it).
6) Something wrong with the release.

In other words, you shouldn't simply have jumped to No.6    And now you
have the additional information that some of us WERE able to install
from that release and run it under Windows, so concentrate on 1-5

Michael