trying to install Gnucash 2.2.0

Bob W. Anderson bobdove at isp.com
Mon Jul 23 13:24:12 EDT 2007

Thanks to Derek, Ron, Eric, Maf, and Rauch.

I've learned:
	- "Install" sometimes means compiling, an exercise with its rewards and
consequences.  I now recognize two compilers: gcc and g++.
	- gc 2.0.2 is buggy, so I haven't done anything wrong for the results I
observed.   2.0.5 is better.   Would I be better advised to go with
2.0.5 rather than the newer (better??) 2.2.0?   Reasons?
	- there is something called a "crash dump" that would be helpful to
consult when bad things (crashes!) happen.  I should be able to find this.
	- "rauch" is part of my "German Connection" who maintains a helpful web
site that will be getting my attention more often.
	- all those text files that come with a release are meant to be read!
	- It's helpful when asking for help, to identify the OS and  apps bing
used, and the version numbers.  Sometimes identify hardware.
	- I am willing to ask for help more than I used to.  I AM IN NO WAY
OFFENDED WHEN A SOLUTION IS OFFERED IN STEP-BY-STEP FORMAT.   It seems
to now be the preferred method as I get older.   That which I may have
once mastered, now is likely to have moved slightly out of reach.

Thanks to you all for your input.   I'll post my tales of adventure,
both my anticipated successes with 2.0.5/2.20 under SuSE 10.2 in Linux,
and what it will be like venturing into the Macintosh realm in a week or
two (getting the gift of a used  G5 iMac.)

Bob in Newport, MN (ten miles from St. Paul.)

BTW, it would be fun for me to wrestle with a Deutch version of an
included paragraph of your response some time.   My high school German
(1946-49) wasn't very good then, and probably hasn't improved, but it
would be fun.  (If this is too OT, maybe a direct note to me.)