Next questions (report on trying a "tempfix")

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Jul 25 15:22:49 EDT 2007

Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> writes:
> Mike wrote: (UH -- Penny is at most an "end user")
>>b) BUT -- there is also a directory  (which is NOT in c:\Documents and
>>Settings\Mike & Penny)
>>    c:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\.gconf\
>>

> Just to see what would happen, I logged in with rights and copied that
> directory from the administrator's data area to the user data area and
> then while logged in as the ordinary user, tried GnuCash. Will still not
> allow me to save any preference changes.
>
> So then I opened the file (supposedly) controlling the "tips of the day"
> thing and hand edited the boolean to "false". Had no effect.

The setup here is:

[gnucash process] <-> [gconfd process]
                            v/^
              [gconf registry on disk as xml files]

I believe the gconfd process is keeping a cache of values, which is why it
might not have respected your manual changes.

You might try:
- using gconftool-2 to make the change (see the --set option)
- forcing a shutdown of gconfd (I believe via `gconftool-2 --shutdown`)
- using the gconf-editor to make the changes (if it exists on windows).

It might be interesting to see if gconftool-2 is able to persist changes, as
well.  As I understand it, it should be using the same mechanism/API as
gnucash is.

I wish I had better direction for you, but I'm not a Windows user. :/

> changes.  I am still awaiting word if anybody else on this list has
> tried using the new 2.2.0 release under Windows XP (or am I the first
> guinea pig).

There's some evidence starting at
<http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows#Windows_XP_Home_Edition_Problems> that
others have had both success and problems with (sub-versions of) Windows XP.
You may want to check the -devel mailing list archives; there was some
reports of XP experiences there.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}