need help setting up transactions for sale of house

J E joele54 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 03:43:22 EDT 2007

I am trying to set up the accounting for the sale of a house
in GnuCash.  I have already received the payment in my checking
account, but I want to account for commisions/fees and also show
the capital gain in a split transaction, but am unsure of how to
do this.

The numbers are:
Checking acct. Deposit: $375000
Sold (2007):            $400000
Bought (1987):          $150000
Commissions/fees:       $ 25000
Net capital gain:       $225000

I have tried doing a split transaction, but always wind up with
an Orphan-USD, and totally confused.

I have tried setting up:

Assets:Fixed:House:Cost        $150000 (Equity:Opening Balances)

to show the initial purchase, but the balance winds up being:

- $150000.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
J. Estes