Gnucash v2.2.0 failing to launch (Windows version completely broken?)

John Roberts textpxy at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:08:41 EDT 2007

Just tried installing the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter", but it didn't work
for me.  On my system gnucash-bin.exe seems to be waiting for a response
from another program (gconfd-2.exe possibly?) -- the following is from the
output from netstat -a -b while gnucash is sitting around failing to start:

  TCP    MyComputer:3703            [MyCurrentDhcpIpAddress]:3701
SYN_SENT        77904
  [gnucash-bin.exe]
  TCP    MyComputer:3679            localhost:3680         ESTABLISHED
77904
  [gnucash-bin.exe]
  TCP    MyComputer:3680            localhost:3679         ESTABLISHED
77904
  [gnucash-bin.exe]

A while later...

  TCP    MyComputer:3727            [MyCurrentDhcpIpAddress]:3721
SYN_SENT        77904
  [gnucash-bin.exe]

I'm not sure why some of the connections say "localhost" and others use the
IP address of the loopback connection adapter.

Before banging my head against this too hard, perhaps I should ask whether
ANYONE has managed to get the Windows version to work on a clean Windows XP
(or Windows 2000) install?  I've tried googling for success stories,
reviews, etc. but haven't found any...