GnuCash 2.2.0 under Windows (progress report on testing under XP)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Jul 31 20:22:17 EDT 2007

I had an unexpected bit of time to begin testing.

a) New account -- with admin rights -- with an existing set of books
    No problem saving preference changes. No problem continuing to be
able to change them after truing off "admin rights"

b) New account -- without admin rights -- with existing set of books
    No problem being able to do saves after first time bringing up GnuCash

c) New account -- without admin rights, NO pre-existing set of books
    I created the "standard" sample set of books (I skipped that before
-- had gone right to creating the actual accounts as of the 1st of the
year from the paper books). No problem being able to save preference
changes.

At this point I have to conclude that the problem I have been reporting
was some sort of "burp" during the first time I ran GnuCash. Remember I
had said that I did NOT appear to have the full set of configuration
directories (as I can see are "normally" created).

I would like to return MY account to the state it was in prior to
running GnuCash the first time (except of course for the data
representing the books). Could somebody please confirm for me the set of
directories I should delete. I believe that list is:
.gconfd
.gnome2
.gnome_private
.gnucash
.gtk-bookmarks (a file, not a directory)
(remember, I am MISSING .gconf which may be what was causing the problem
-- but were it there, it would be on this list)

Having cleared away anything that tells GnuCash that this user (myself)
has run it before, I propose to open the app and see if this time maybe
the initial configuration goes properly and I am subsequently able to
save changes.  I am pretty sure that these directories/file need to be
deleted to do that, just not sure if I might not be missing another
something from that list (besides .gconf which ISN'T present and so
needs no delete). If somebody could confirm that for me? Thanks.

Michael

PS: The other folks who are having problems under XP with the install or
in getting GnuCash to start? Sorry but I can't test to see what your
problem might be as here the install worked and I never have had a
problem getting GnuCash to run. You need help from a Windows XP person
which I'm not (just a Windows user, when I have to be, just know about
enough to support my "end user" Penny.

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.