quick question

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan.N.Veelo at ntnu.no
Sun Jun 3 14:52:49 EDT 2007

Hi Casey,

I am not a developer of GnuCash and have not read much of its code, but
I can give you a general answer. The advantage of Open Source Software
regarding security is that you can screen the program and know exactly
what it does with the information you feed it. Even if you are not a
programmer and cannot understand its internal workings from reading the
source code, it is good to know that other people can and do. This is
called the advantage of peer review. If the program /was/ leaking
sensitive information, the fact would be discovered sooner than later. I
am pretty sure that there is no malicious intent amongst the developers
of GnuCash, open source developers are generally keen on their
reputation. And if there were and you had a reason to sue, I think you
still could -- stealing is always a crime.

Now for a small comparison. One person says "You can trust my program
because I take your money" and another person says "You can trust my
program, just see for yourself!" Whom would you trust more?

Do you trust the corporation that sells you software to screen it for
vulnerabilities and to give you fixes for the flaws it finds? There is
no real incentive, nobody is looking over their shoulders. Do you think
they hire external peers to look at their mistakes? Probably not. Do you
get any guarantee that their software is without (security) bugs? Most
certainly not.

If you are concerned about security, you are better off with Open Source
than with closed source. There are other advantages too, but that is
outside the scope of this reply.

Best regards,
Bastiaan.